Monday, February 6, 2012

Remembering the Vision

What was my original intention when I started this Heaven's Wait adventure? Did I expect to veer onto fascinating side paths that were filled with new learning experiences? Did I expect to get bogged down by the legal, marketing and business processes that seem mandatory when one attempts to bring creative projects to the public?

No! My original intent was to weave all of my personal bits of attained wisdom into a fun world of stories and activities, and offer them up to family and others.  My idea was that it is important to discover your authentic, purposeful gifts, then to contribute those gifts to the greater good, creating your own Lasting Story in the process. Heaven's Wait became that fun world for me.

It's so easy to get lost in the many creative possibilities that are available to us these days. And it's just as easy to get swallowed up by their accompanying demands: necessary legal documents, product development, and sales and marketing tasks. Pretty soon, the main purpose of your project fades into the background.

My gut told me it was time to stop and examine everything around my Heaven's Wait project that consumed my valuable time. I needed to make sure that each activity and chore was somehow connected to my original vision. Were the storylines and accompanying multimedia embellishments in line with that vision? So far, the answer was yes.

 How about the various components of my website and the products I developed? I audited and revised my website structure so the flow supported the objective, yet left room to grow my business. And I decided on products that, though originally developed to protect the Heaven's Wait name, provided fun and relevance to the stories for potential HW followers. I hoped to use a portion of the proceeds to develop more ways to support my vision.

And what about all of the essential business chores? I made careful decisions with trademarks, business filings, and marketing plans that will, hopefully, allow me to grow an audience of HW enthusiasts so that one day I can hire others to handle such tasks. I would like to be able to devote my time to further creative development of my vision.

The examination process took about a month. I was glad I took the time to revisit my vision. I felt I now had a much more cohesive project, and I became excited in a new way about sharing Heaven's Wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment