Friday, February 17, 2012

I Hear Music: The Theme Songs of Heaven's Wait

It was time to dig out the theme songs of Heaven's Wait and find them a home. Several years after I had written the music, I was pleasantly surprised when I played the Heaven's Wait Theme in my Cakewalk music program. The melody and accompaniment still filled my senses with the feel of Heaven's Wait as I had first envisioned it. I hoped I would someday have the opportunity to lengthen the piece, but I felt the music was ready to go up on the Heaven's Wait's website now. Once I struggled through the process of converting the song into MP3 and .wav files, I worked it into the optional Flash Introduction that is now available on the website's Home Page, accompanied by small graphics that illustrated my overall vision for my ideas.

I moved on to the next major piece, A Journey Above, which is R.J.'s main theme song. I was again pleased with the melody, although the arrangement lacked the lush accompaniment that was swirling through my head. I started cutting and pasting, adding and subtracting, experimenting with various changes in a trial-and-error way -- as I had always done. I worked on the sections that sounded bad when time allowed, but I had other HW issues to attend to, so I finally had to put that project aside. The music still needs help and son Mark is now experimenting in a different music program to see if he can improve the overall arrangement. Amateurs we are, for sure!

I had yet to establish a theme song for the Drippils, the tiny "other" creatures that occupy a more secret place in Heaven's Wait. The Drippils needed fun, childlike music. So for the Drippils' Theme Song, I dug into some old original music files from my sons' elementary school days. I had composed some simple tunes when I taught some after-school classes at their school. It was fairly easy to adapt one of those songs to the Drippils' world, so I chose playful effects for the various tracks, saved them as files, and added the sound clip to the Drippils' homepage on HW's site.*

Although the theme songs of the various Vowellan clans, as well as other original songs that accompany unfinished HW Tales, have not yet been included, I plan to incorporate them into my project as I continue my journey.

*Note: Because the sound clips are presently embedded in Flash files, they are unavailable to Apple and other mobile devices. Apple has decided not to support Flash files, so I will eventually have to find a different way of presenting the sound files so that mobile users may enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment