Monday, June 25, 2012

Potpourri: Easy, Addicting Guacamole

When I was formulating the menu for the engagement party we recently hosted, I had to include the one dish that always seems to please a crowd: a creamy mountain of guacamole surrounded by plenty of fresh corn chips. In years past, I was always one to overload my guacamole with way too many ingredients, thinking it would be that much better if I added tomatoes, onions, garlic, cheese, peppers, and who knows what else. But a few years ago, we vacationed in Puerto Vallarta. A couple of lovable local cooks gave me a lesson in guacamole making, and I've been keeping it simple since then.

Avocados, lime juice and salt! That's all they used. I couldn't believe how delicious it was that way. The taste of the avocados really shined. But since I'm a cilantro addict, I do have to sneak some into the recipe if I have it around, and I usually throw in either a little garlic powder or chopped garlic chives. Garlic is good for you, right? So here's how guacamole comes out of my kitchen these days.

Ingredients:
2 avocados
Juice of 1/2-1 lime
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbs fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp garlic chives, finely chopped or 1/4 tsp garlic powder

Instructions:
Halve and pit the avocados. Scoop out the avocado meat with a spoon. In a shallow bowl, mash avocados with a fork or potato masher to desired texture. Add limejuice, salt, cilantro and garlic. Mix thoroughly. Allow to sit for at least 1/2 hour to blend flavors.
Serve this yummy appetizer with some of the great organic chips that are out there these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment