Monday, December 5, 2011

Were Heaven's Wait's Tales Destined to Become Something More?

I must say, when I started writing Heaven's Wait's tales, I thought I was compiling a collection of individual life-lesson stories. I didn't think it was necessary to connect the stories. But as I continued on, I found that the tales were beginning to build on their predecessors and each character was starting to tell his or her own story. One character took a step forward from the rest; the families slowly exposed issues that needed exploration and resolution; and R.J.'s role in the greater picture became more clearly defined.

Heaven's Wait was becoming a world I never expected to know. It almost felt as though I was not creating this world at all; instead, I was witnessing its evolution, with the characters leading me to intriguing places and heartwarming situations.

I think the concepts were good, but the writing technique was poor. I struggled to articulate the storylines. I found myself buying grammar books and checking online resources for writing insight. A tip from a friend led me to buy the book, The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler, who took the complex concepts of mythologist Joseph Campbell and made them easily understandable and workable for prospective storytellers and screenwriters. He cited clear examples from classic stories such as The Wizard of Oz and Star Wars that taught volumes about developing a story's hero and other key characters, as well as the basic structures from which all good stories have evolved through the ages.

Pause #3! Study The Writer's Journey, and put the writing aside until you learn a bit of technique. I devoured that book, twice. I found myself entranced by the necessary path of the hero of a story. I realized that my project was evolving into a novel that would take place within the world of Heaven's Wait.

Who would have ever thought?

Learn more about The Writer's Journey at http://www.thewritersjourney.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment