Monday, December 19, 2011

Dilemma of Identifying My Audience


Once my son had thoroughly dissected my manuscript, I again spent a few weeks reading, re-wording, re-reading, and correcting error upon error. I finally decided there was only so much I could do to improve the manuscript. If it ended up in the hands of an agent or publisher, it would probably be dissected all over again, so it was time to stop punishing myself.

I started my online search for information on agents and publishers. I subscribed to writers’ organizations, and bought books that published lists of such companies. The first thing I realized was that I needed to decide which genre of fiction suited my work. Agents and publishers varied greatly in the genres they handled. Some dealt with very specific genres, while others handled a variety.

As I studied lists of available genres, I became completely confused. My manuscript didn't fit neatly into any category. The story was fantasy but not in a science fiction sense, which seemed to be the case with much of the current fantasy fiction. The story was young adult in two senses: (1) the characters were animated, and (2) many of the tales focused on the experiences of the teens in Heaven's Wait. The story is somewhat inspirational, though I never consciously pursued that path. And where did the music and pictures fit in? I couldn't find anyone on the lists of agents and publishers who accepted written submissions that were accompanied by accessories, such as music, sounds and pictures.

Though I had no idea what type of audience would eventually enjoy my work, I decided to approach agents who handled the genres of both Fantasy and Young Adult, at least for starters. Perhaps they would be able to help me find a niche for my unusual project.

No comments:

Post a Comment