Thursday, January 23, 2014

Formatting Sections Breaks for eBooks!

For anyone formatting manuscripts for Smashwords and Kindle, I discovered a nice way to create space between sections within chapters without using returns. Kindle says you can't rely on returns for section breaks across their various formats. So in Word, I created a style called Section Break and gave it all the Normal/Body attributes, but under Format/Paragraph/Spacing/After, I assigned it the number 15. Then I highlighted the last paragraph of each section, assigned the Section Break style to the paragraph, and deleted the return(s) that previously filled that space. It takes time, but the manuscript looks so much cleaner. Hopefully, this process will make things look that much better when I upload it. Oh, I'm
being so anal about this. I hate reading an eBook that is poorly formatted.

No comments:

Post a Comment