Monday, July 16, 2012

Imagination and Writing

As I continue to work on Book 2 of the Heaven's Wait! Tales from Vowella Series, Innocents, I shake my head at the fact that all of the characters, their community, the world in which they live, and the tales that have thus far emerged have come from a place inside my head. Innocents is a reworked compilation of tales I wrote several years ago. I look at the stories now and think . . . Where did all this stuff come from? How did I ever think up these oddball characters? How did I decide on their particular personalities? How did I come up with their stories and overall theme? Most of my friends, at one time or another, have questioned my sanity in developing it all, and I don't blame them for that.

The Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines Imagination as: an act or process of forming a conscious idea or mental image of something never before wholly perceived in reality by the one forming the images (as through a synthesis of remembered elements of previous sensory experiences or ideas as modified by unconscious defense mechanisms); also: the ability or gift of forming such conscious ideas or mental images especially for the purposes of artistic or intellectual creation.

Successconsciousness.com defines Imagination as: a creative power that is necessary for inventing an instrument, designing a dress or a building, painting a picture or writing a book. The creative power of imagination has an important role in the achievement of success in any field. What we imagine with faith and feelings comes into being. It is the power beyond creative visualization, positive thinking and affirmations.

I can only be thankful for the places my imagination has taken me. It has allowed me to explore my creative side in ways I never thought possible. It has allowed me to develop and write about a whole community of otherworldly characters that are in many ways like my children. I feel a responsibility to guide them through their learning experiences and give them challenges to conquer while they are on their way to becoming purposeful individuals. And just as children do, the characters have already taught me more than I have taught them. They often write their own stories, based on what I first imagined. I simply do the dictation.

I can't imagine what my life would have been like without my imagination, which has so graciously guided me along my unexpected writing journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment